|site search by freefind||advanced|
Cancer health involves taking care of your entire body even while you are battling cancer in a particular area, since the body works as a unit. Especially if you have cancer, you will feel much better when you follow a healthy lifestyle. When you live a healthy lifestyle, you will dramatically reduce the amount of illness and disease you suffer from--and if you are already sick, you will improve your chances of recovery by following these seven tips.
1. Consume a nutritious diet. Most important to help control and prevent cancer is the amount of antioxidants in your diet. Try to consume nine servings of fruits and vegetables per day, and try to choose at least one from each color of the rainbow every day. Plenty of fiber is also of benefit--at least 30 grams a day is great for keeping health in check.
2. Drink lots of water. Strive to drink at least 64 oz. of fresh spring or distilled water each day, or 1/2 your weight in pounds in oz. of water per day, whichever is larger. For example, a 200 lb. person would want to drink 1/2 of 200, or 100, oz. of water per day. This is especially important if you are battling cancer.
3. Get sufficient rest. You should be able to wake up naturally without an alarm clock. It's best to go to bed early and rise early (meaning, bedtime from 9pm-10pm and rising from 5am-6am). Rest is when your body heals.
4. Get plenty of exercise. Both strength training and cardiovascular exercise provide benefits. Try to do each at least three times per week. However, to protect your immune system from getting run down, avoid exercising for much longer than one hour at a time, especially if your intensity level is high. More is not better!
5. Avoid putting unnecessary chemicals into your body for ideal health. This includes both prescription and over-the-counter drugs, additives and preservatives in processed foods, and artificial colors, flavors, and sweeteners. Organic food may be a wise investment in your health. At the very least, shop the perimeter of the grocery store. The more natural the food is, the better. Try to eat things that are still the way they are found in nature: i.e. apples are better than bottled apple sauce, which is better than commercial apple juice. Try herbal remedies rather than drugs whenever possible. You don't want your body to have to fight off substances unnecessarily if you're dealing with cancer.
6. Consider supplementing your diet with vitamins, minerals, and essential nutrients. A general multivitamin is a good bet for most people if you are suffering from cancer (always check with your physician). Fish oils are also a great overall health supplement, and are especially good for the immune system which comes in handy if you have cancer.
7. Use a detoxification regimen from time to time. Many people use essiac tea for detoxification of the liver, kidneys, and colon. Herbal colon cleanse formulas are also a good choice for many people. Dandelion greens brewed and cooled into a juice is also a good overall detoxification to take. This is a natural way to maintain good health.
Click here to return to the list of cancer articles for more tips on cancer health.